Not For Nothing

Just another UMW Blogs.org weblog

Artists that Inspire Me

JOHN CHAMBERLAIN

chamberlain.jpg

The colors and spirit in this piece are so lively! The piece looks so flimsy and delicate, like plastic bags would be, but it is actually steel and chrome, which makes the handling of it beautiful.

JOSEPH CORNELL

cornell01.JPG

This piece makes a world of it’s own and everyone of his pieces allows the viewer to create a story for it. Cornell also involves collage in some of his pieces, which I love doing!!

KEN FEINGOLD

installed_med72.jpg

I do not particularly like this piece but I picked it to remind myself that my art does not always have to be something real. I do not have this kind of imagination but I hope one day to develop it.

BEN JONES

jonesblackface.jpg

Jones appeals to me because of his use of replication (all heads and arms) with slight variation (betweens colors, patterns and position of the arms). Every head and arm have their own contrasting personality and it is life size so the viewers may relate to them.

JENNY HOLZER

images.jpg

Jenny Holzer was a huge inspiration for my Project ANCHOR piece because I completely love the idea of text on top of image. Unfortunately, my fellow staff members at Anchor did not support my efforts and I never got the pictures/text I needed.

TOM FRIEDMAN

foilguitarist.jpg

Two words describe Ton Friedman’s work- Dynamic and Movement! He’s pieces are either rocking out, exploding or defying gravity.

DUANE HANSON

hanson.jpg

Duane Hanson blows my mind away!! I was fortune to see this piece in person and the level of realism was incredible….breathtaking even.

MARIZIO CATTELAN

cat.jpg

Going back to Duane Hanson, I envy artists that can create realism like this. The difference between Duane Hanson and Marizio Cattelan is that Cattelan puts an interesting twist into his pieces, which I like.

JONATHAN BOROFSKY

img_4403-small.jpg

What intrigues me in this piece is the enormous scale of it and it’s ability to “walk on water.” Having it in water adds magic to the piece.

DEBORAH BUTTERFIELD

butterfield.jpg

Having now built two animal sculptures I have a severe admiration for the way Deborah Butterfield builds her animals.  I want to be able to sculpt that loosely and have it turn out that wonderful!